East Riding of Yorkshire Council launches Winter Grant Scheme

A discretionary grant scheme to help households struggling in the run up to Christmas has been launched.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council has launched the scheme to support those most in need with the cost of food, energy (such as heating, cooking and lighting), water bills (including sewerage) and other essentials (such as sanitary products), warm clothing, soap, blankets, boiler service/repair, and purchase of equipment including fridges, freezers and ovens.

The Winter Grant Scheme is funded from one-off central Government funding announced on 10 November 2020 called the Winter Support Grant, which enables local authorities to provide financial support to those most in need this year.

To help ensure fairness of applications and access to the grant across the winter for those who need it, East Riding of Yorkshire Council will implement the Winter Grant Scheme as a discretionary scheme across multiple time periods until the one-off funding has been fully utilised.

Period one of the scheme will cover the period 1 November to 31 December 2020. Applications for period one will need to be received by Sunday, 20 December.

It is expected that the discretionary funding available will not be sufficient to provide support to all residents, therefore period one will target and prioritise support for the following:

  • to support households with children, where the applicant meets the criteria to entitle a child to free school meals
  • to support households who have claimed universal credit since 23 March and income is less than £16,000 annually
  • to support individuals who have a social care package and have seen an increase in their household food and fuel since 23 March 2020
  • to support individuals where their annual income is less than £13,600 annually.

Councillor Richard Burton, leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “This year has been extremely challenging for some of our residents and I am heartened that we have the Winter Grant Scheme available to support those in need.

“Knowing that this grant will make the difference of keeping children warm and well fed over Christmas, or offering those residents struggling to cope financially the peace of mind that they can manage a difficult winter, is an indicator that East Riding of Yorkshire Council continues to do all it can to support those in need at the end of an unprecedented year.”

For more information, criteria for the grants and how to apply, go to https://covid19.eastriding.gov.uk/support/

Where residents may not be eligible for this grant, the council has a benefit eligibility checker, this can be used to see if you are entitled to other forms of financial support http://www.budget.entitledto.co.uk/eastriding/budgets/

The council also has an emergency assistance scheme available to residents who have had an interruption to their income and where they require support to remain in the community.

For more information, criteria of the grants and how to apply, go to https://www.eastriding.gov.uk/living/emergency-assistance/

Contact Information

Rachel Palmer
Strategic Marketing Officer
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
(01482) 391470

East Riding of Yorkshire Council – COVID-19 Tier Announcement

Residents of the East Riding are being urged to follow new COVID-19 safety guidance from next Wednesday (2, December) with the news that the area will move into Tier 3 (Very High) when the national lockdown restrictions end.

The Government has today announced that the East Riding, along with the Humber area, will all be in the highest of the three-level restrictions system, Tier 3.

Ministers have made decisions on which areas are in which tiers based on factors such as how quickly infection rates are rising or falling, the ratio of positive tests and the current and projected pressure on the NHS.

Some of the key aspects of Tier 3 restrictions are:

  • No mixing of different households indoors or outdoors, including hospitality venues and private gardens
  • The rule of six applies in outdoor public spaces such as parks
  • Pubs and restaurants closed, except for take-away and delivery services
  • Indoor entertainment venues closed
  • Accommodation such as hotels, B&Bs, campsites, and guest houses must close. There are several exemptions, such as for those who use these venues as their main residence, and those requiring the venues where it is reasonably necessary for work or education and training
  • Guidance against travelling in and out of Tier 3 areas
  • Personal care, such as hairdressing, is allowed

The Tier restrictions will come into effect from the beginning of Wednesday, 2 December (00.01). Until then, the national lockdown restrictions will remain in place. The Government has said it will review tier allocations by 16 December.

INVITATION: East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Remembrance Service – Sunday, 8th November 2020

INVITATION: East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Remembrance Service – Sunday, 8th November 2020

November 8, 2020 by Web Admin

Each year East Riding of Yorkshire Council organises a Remembrance Service and Parade in Beverley
on Remembrance Sunday at which we pay our respects and remember those who gave so much
so that we may enjoy the freedoms we do today

Sadly, due to the current Coronavirus restrictions this year’s event was cancelled

However, East Riding of Yorkshire Council together with Beverley Minster have put together a pre-recorded
Remembrance event and we invite you to join us on Sunday, 8th November 2020 at 10.50am

The pre-recorded event can be access via East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Facebook page
or by clicking the YouTube link www.youtube.com/EastRidingofYorkshireCouncil



November 5, 2020 by Web Admin

This information is up to date as of Wednesday, 4 November.
Please visit www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november for any updates and further information.

Covid update Nov 2020

Staying at home
Under the new national restrictions effective from Thursday, 5 November, people are being encouraged not to leave their home or be outside their home except for specific purposes. These include:
• for childcare or education, where this is not provided online
• for work purposes, where your place of work remains open and where you cannot work from home
• to exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place, with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with one person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).
• for any medical concerns, reasons, appointments and emergencies, or to avoid or escape risk of injury or harm – such as domestic abuse
• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which should be done as infrequently as possible
• to visit members of your support bubble or provide care for vulnerable people, or as a volunteer
The Government says this list is not exhaustive and there are other limited circumstances where you may be permitted to leave or be outside of your home. We are awaiting further detailed guidance on this.

Meeting indoors and support bubbles
You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household (meaning the people you live with) or your support bubble.
A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight and visit outdoor public places together.

Furlough Scheme Extension
The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme – also known as the furlough scheme – will remain open until December, with employees receiving 80% of their current salary for hours not worked, up to a maximum of £2,500.
Under the extended scheme, the cost for employers of retaining workers will be reduced compared to the scheme which has just ended.
In addition, business premises forced to close in England are to receive grants worth up to £3,000 per month under the Local Restrictions Support Grant and £1.1billion is being given to local authorities, distributed on the basis of £20 per head, for one-off payments to enable them to support businesses more broadly.
Mortgage holidays will also no longer end on 31 October.

Businesses and venues
To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close. These include:
• all non-essential retail, including, but not limited to clothing and electronics stores, vehicle showrooms, travel agents, betting shops, auction houses, tailors, car washes, tobacco and vape shops.
• indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, leisure centres and gyms, sports facilities including swimming pools, golf courses and driving ranges, dance studios, stables and riding centres, soft play facilities, climbing walls and climbing centres, archery and shooting ranges, water and theme parks,
• entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, adult gaming centres and arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, concert halls, zoos and other animal attractions, botanical gardens;
• personal care facilities such as hair, beauty and nail salons, tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services, non-medical acupuncture, and tanning salons.
Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and certain other retailers providing essential goods and services can remain open. Essential retail should follow COVID-secure guidelines to protect customers, visitors and workers.
Non-essential retail can remain open for delivery to customers and click-and-collect.
Playgrounds can remain open.
Hospitality venues like restaurants, bars and pubs must close, but can still provide take-away and delivery services.
Hotels, hostels and other accommodation should only open for those who have to travel for work purposes and for a limited number of other exemptions.
Some venues will be allowed to remain open for specific exempt activities, like childcare and support groups. Support groups that are essential to deliver in person can continue with up to 15 participants where formally organised to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support. This includes support to victims of crime, people in drug and alcohol recovery, new parents and guardians, people with long-term illnesses, people facing issues relating to their sexuality or gender and those who have suffered bereavement.

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
• the NHS and medical services such as GP surgeries
• Jobcentre Plus sites
• Courts
• Civil Registrations Offices
• Weddings, civil partnerships, religious services and funerals
• Cemeteries – funerals, burials, commemorative events and to allow people to pay their respects to a deceased family member or friend. They must not be used as a place for exercise.

Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people and it is advised that only close friends and family attend. Linked ceremonial events such as stone settings and ash scatterings can also continue with up to 15 people in attendance. Anyone working is not included in that number. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.
Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies will not be permitted to take place except in exceptional circumstances.

Places of Worship will be closed unless they are being used for:
• funerals
• to broadcast acts of worship
• individual prayer
• formal childcare or where part of a school
• essential voluntary and public services, such as blood donation or food banks
• other exempted activities such as some support groups

Going to work
To help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home must do so. Where people cannot do so, they can continue to travel to work and attend their workplace if the workplace remains open.
COVID-secure guidelines should be followed closely.

Going to school, college and university
The Government has said it will continue to prioritise the wellbeing and long-term futures of young people and will not be closing schools, colleges or universities – however universities and adult education settings are encouraged to increase levels of online learning wherever possible.
Students who live at university must not move back and forward between their permanent home and student home during term time. They should only return home at the end of term for Christmas.

Childcare and children’s activities
Parents will still be able to access some registered childcare and other childcare activities (including wrap-around care) where reasonably necessary to enable parents to work or for the purposes of respite care.
Early years settings can remain open. Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with another household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is 13 or under.
Some households will also be able to benefit from being in a support bubble, which allows single adult households to join another household.
The Government has said that some youth services may be able to continue, such as 1-1 youth work and support groups, but most youth clubs and groups will need to cease for this period.

Protecting people more at risk from coronavirus
For people aged over 60 or clinically vulnerable, who could be at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus, the guidance states they should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimise their contacts with others and they should continue to wash their hands carefully and more frequently than usual and maintain thorough cleaning of frequently-touched areas in their home and workplace.
Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:
• aged 70 or over (regardless of medical conditions)
• under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (that is, anyone instructed to get a flu jab each year on medical grounds):
• chronic (long-term) mild to moderate respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
• chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
• chronic kidney disease
• chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
• chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS) or cerebral palsy
• diabetes
• a weakened immune system as the result of certain conditions or medicines they are taking (such as steroid tablets)
• being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
• pregnant
There is a further group of people who are defined, also on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus – people with specific, serious health conditions.
People in this category are advised to work from home or, if they cannot work from home, not to go to work and that they may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).
They are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible but are encouraged to go outside for exercise.
The Government is writing to everybody who is clinically extremely vulnerable to set out detailed advice while the new restrictions are in place.

You should avoid travelling in or out of your local area, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number reasons, including:
• travelling to work where this cannot be done from home
• travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
• hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
• visiting venues that are open, including essential retail
• exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so
Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed. This includes holidays abroad and in the UK. It also means you cannot stay in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with.
There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes but this means people cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally-permitted reasons.
You must not travel if you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating as a result of coronavirus symptoms, are sharing a household or support bubble with somebody with symptoms or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace – or the council.
If you need to use public transport – to travel to work for example – you should follow the safer travel guidance. This includes the rules on wearing face masks and advice on car sharing.

Council Tax Refund Scam

Council Tax Refund Scam

November 5, 2020 by Web Admin

If you receive a call from your council office offering you a council tax refund do not give any details over the phone, but hang up and call your council tax office & clarify the call was genuine.

A resident in our force area recently had a call asking for their bank details so the refund could be transferred into the customers account.

If you ever receive a telephone call asking for bank details never give them.

The customer refused to provide details.

PC 2180 Lee Fuller
Crime Reduction Officer

Visit Humberside Police website for crime prevention advice

Message Sent By
Lee Fuller. Crime reduction officer (Police, PC, Force wide )
If you have any requested information, please contact us via 101 or 999 in an emergency